in this issue
Pharma/fine chemicals roundup—20 November
5:10 AM MST | November 20, 2012 | By DEEPTI RAMESH
Teva’s API business reports rise in sales
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries (Petach Tikva, Israel), which has the largest active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) business in the world in terms of sales, recorded a 6.6% rise in API sales in the third quarter ended 30 September 2012, compared with the year-ago quarter, to $195 million.
In the first nine months of 2012, Teva’s sales from the API business increased 8%, compared with the first nine months of 2011, to $594 million.
Report: API market in Asia/Pacific to reach $63.8 billion by 2017
The total revenue generated by the Asia/Pacific active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) market was $30.69 billion in 2011, and it is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 5.6% to reach $63.8 billion by 2017, says a recent report by market research firm GBI Research.
Asia/Pacific is the second largest regional market for APIs by revenue in the world, after North America, GBI Research says. The Asia/Pacific API market revenue accounted for about 28.3% of the global API revenues in 2011. Global API revenue was $108.6 billion in 2011.
CEO of US Pharmacopeial Convention to resign
The United States Pharmacopeial Convention (USP; Rockville, MD) says that Roger L. Williams, CEO and chair of the council of experts for USP will step down on 30 June 2014, in accordance with previously agreed contractual commitments. Williams joined USP in early 2000. USP is a scientific non-profit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
“Williams has made strong contributions to USP through his leadership,” says Duane M. Kirking, chairman of the board of trustees at USP. “During his tenure, USP's public health activities and impact have increased significantly, with USP’s quality standards now used in more than 140 countries. In addition, USP’s presence in the world has expanded through laboratories, offices and training centers in the United States and in six other countries -Brazil, China, India, Switzerland, Ethiopia and Ghana.”
SAFC expands raw materials portfolio for biopharmaceutical manufacturing
Sigma-Aldrich Fine Chemicals (SAFC), the custom manufacturing and services business unit of Sigma-Aldrich, says it has added more than 25 new raw materials to its PharmaGrade products portfolio. Launched earlier this year, the PharmaGrade portfolio is comprised of over 65 buffers, amino acids, and specialty chemicals for biopharmaceutical manufacturing.
The acquisition of Research Organics in April 2012 has enabled SAFC to increase its PharmaGrade offering, while complementing the company’s existing raw materials portfolio. The expanded manufacturing capacity made available by Research Organics also enables SAFC to provide customers with dual sourcing of biological buffers, SAFC says.
NSF launches atorvastatin calcium reference standard kits
NSF International (Ann Arbor, MI), an independent global public health organization that develops reference standards, has released atorvastatin calcium reference standard kits, which are traceable to the official United States Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) and European pharmacopeial (EP) standards. Atorvastatin is the generic version of cholesterol-lowering drug Lipitor. Pfizer’s Lipitor has been the top-selling drug worldwide. The patent protection for Lipitor expired in November 2011, opening up a significant opportunity to Indian pharmaceutical manufacturers to capture a piece of the estimated $14 billion/year market for atorvastatin, NSF says. Indian pharmaceutical manufacturers can utilize the reference standard kits to demonstrate the identity, purity, quality and strength of their atorvastatin calcium products, NSF says.
Atorvastatin is an very complex compound with many opportunities for impurities to be introduced during its synthesis, NSF says. NSF developed the atorvastatin reference standard kit to provide a cost-effective way to ensure the quality and purity of atorvastatin products and reduce the risk of regulatory non-compliances.
Revenues from generics in Malaysia to reach $365 million this year
The generic pharmaceutical industry in Malaysia is expected to record total revenue of $365 million in 2012, compared with $350 million in 2011, say local press reports. Domestic consumption accounts for about 80% of the revenue and exports account for the remaining 20%. The major export destinations are the ASEAN countries, North Africa, Mideast and Australia.